Friday, July 03, 2015

Drafting a Dress

So today I'm off from work due to the 4th of July holiday, and I'm using my "day to play" on what else?  My doll, of course!


I'm ready to design the dress bodice, which is one of the trickiest parts dollmaking for me.
I've drafted the pattern, transferred it onto paper towels and taped the pieces together to see how the bodice fits.   It's not quite there just YET, but I will cut, tape, tuck, tweak and try to get it right.



The moral of this story is:  
If you have paper towels, a felt tip marker, scissors and tape, you can drape a shape right over your doll to make a bodice.  If you don't feel comfortable designing your own, use one that you've already made or that you like a lot, and try to modify it right on your doll.  It's a pretty good method :-)  If you're good with computers, scanning and resizing things can be helpful.

The bodice is the main part of the dress.  Once it is done, the whole dress should come together really quickly.  I already have my fabric picked out!  Hopefully I'll have some more pictures to show you soon.

Happy dolling!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!