Sunday, March 18, 2012

Manhattan Doll Club


This afternoon, I had the treat of all treats.  I finally went to the Manhattan Doll Club at The City Quilter shop in NYC, and met the most wonderful people I'd ever want to meet here in NY.  It's been so long since I have been to any doll club- the last time was more than 2 years ago when I lived in Seattle, WA, and I've really missed it.  I've been so busy adjusting to my move to NY that I have not gotten "into it" all year, and prior to that, I went back to school full time and studied so hard I couldn't think straight!  I'm glad I did all that, and even happier that it's finally behind me.  March 25 will be the one-year mark, and last week I finally found the accounting job I have been waiting for.  I guess today's visit means that I'm finally getting adjusted, and getting back to myself.   I'm as pleased as punch!


About The City Quilter
The City Quilter is located in the heart of Chelsea, NYC.  I loved being in the shop.  In the Seattle area, there were plenty of quilt shops, but in NYC this is a rarity.  Rather than hopping into my red car, I jumped on the subway to get there.  The whole thing was really quite an experience.  Once I got to the shop, I felt so at home, like I had found my personal oasis.  My senses were bursting so much I could have sworn I smelled candy and sweetness all around me.  I was definitely in my element.  Fabric has a very powerful effect over me!




Visiting the shop and becoming part of a doll group was an important step for me.  I really feel it.  I'm not quite ready to make a doll yet, because I'm getting ready for Passover which starts in 3 weeks, and I just started a new job and have to get used to not being able to get up and drink coffee whenever I'm actually ready.  But sometime in May, I think I will be ready to start playing dolls again.  It feels good to know that once a dollmaker, always a dollmaker!






8 comments:

  1. Jeanine Gehrnger (dollhistorian)6:36 AM

    Very nice blog. You're doing great in NY. Congrats on your job and adjustment, and now make dolls! Look forward to more info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I speak for all of us at the manhattan Doll club when I say we are so happy that you have joined our club.
    It was nice to meet you on Sunday & I'm looking forward to seeing you again next month.
    I've followed your work for some time now, on line and in magazines, & seeing your beautiful dolls in person was a thrill for me.
    If I can be of any help to you, as you get adjusted to your new life in NY, feel free to contact me at lorafair54@hotmail.com.
    TTYS
    Lorraine T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:19 PM

    Looking at the pictures of the fabric stores,made me want to just get in there and buy some stuff!! Iam so glad to see you are doing great and living in new york is like a story book I just wait until you send something else for us to enjoy... Good Luck and keep making dolls!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you so much! Such kind words... no surprise coming from such beautiful people. DOll people are the absolute BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rivkah, so glad you made it to the Manhattan Doll Club. Perhaps I'll go to the next meeting and get to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to have a doll club here. I joined it when it had been around for about 12 years.. ...but, it just became a weird place to go.... back biting... sniping... it was too much hassle for me..and nobody wanted to share their "secrets" .... and they thought I was being high and mighty trying to share what little I did know... and then..it petered out.

    I envy you your club.....I hope you all have a great time together ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your dolls, they are differnt from what I desgin. I desgin dolls safe for children at www.dinkybaby.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!