Friday, November 12, 2010

Magnetude

Here is a great way to make a doll stand alone- NO hidden doll stands, no rods up the leg.
All you need is a super magnet!

These magnets are really, really small and super strong. You can fit them inside of a doll's foot, before you stuff the leg up full. NAIL a nail with a big flat head into a block of wood that you want to use as your stand, and WALLA! Your doll will stand unassisted.

Note, however, that you still might want to put an armature in the doll's legs so they don't get wobbly. Use a chopstick or some kind of bendy armature if you want to pose your doll.

I have never seen these type of magnets in a store, but you can find them in geeky gadgety online shops. Just google "strong magnets" or some such thing.

Have fun!!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:11 AM

    These magnets are available at Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,42363&p=42348). There are retail stores all over Canada but you can also order their products online. I'm lucky enough to have a store 40 mins away and visit it quite often.

    Btw, I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How tall a doll would hold up using one of these magnets do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very wonderful idea. I also would be curious as to how tall a doll would stand with them. Thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all know that Betty boop had made a name in the cartoon industry. No doubt, many children knows her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a fantastic tip. I can't believe it never occurred to me to try this! LOL....and I have those magnets in my studio! Ha! Thanks so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial. I love dolls. That was a great idea making dolls will be a big help for us financially. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have thought about this but since I make dolls that can be belong to children or adults I am a little worried about having such strong magnets. Do you know anything about the potential risks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rivkah10:01 AM

    eileen, thanks for your question... I don't know about any risks associated with strong magnets. The way I look at it is that the doll is a form of art. I would not handle it much if at all, so it's not a concern. If you are making something for a child, I just don't know the answer. All the different media that I use on my dolls would be a concern for children anyhow... I would not want them putting glazed or painted doll surfaces in their mouth...
    They are just for display.
    (Hope that answers your question :-)

    ~Rivkah

    ReplyDelete
  9. you can also look for earth magnets .. super strong. Interesting idea though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!