I could probably manage by using a ladder stitch to manipulate the size after the hands are stuffed, but I decided to alter the pattern. I cut the hands off at the wrist (ouch!) and substituted them for something better.
Here are hands as they look sewn (but not stuffed). The hand on the left is the original, and the one on the right is my version.I find it very interesting that the pattern is sold around the internet (I sell it as well, for the challenge). However I have never seen an actual doll that was made from the pattern!
Well, that's part of the challenge. I'm having fun with it. I'll upload the new hands and whatever other improvements I come up with when Betty's done.