Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Jewelry for dolls (and people)

I deviated a little. I made a charm bracelet for my sweetheart daughter Khassy. It was an experiment of sorts, and great fun. Click on the images to enlarge.
To make the bracelet, I cut glass and put some metal leaf with a print-out of a word on the surface of one square, let it dry, and sandwiched it together with sterling silver solder (pronounced 'sotter.') I made my own "links" with sterling silver wire that has copper inside.

These are the tools I used:
GLASS (Not shown. I just used ordinary glass. Next time you break a glass, you might be able to use it!)

GLASS CUTTER

TOOL TO BREAK OUT GLASS (after scoring with glass cutter)
SOLDERING IRON
COPPER TAPE
FLUX (This goes on the copper tape or the solder will not stick.)
SILVER SOLDER
JEWELRY WIRE sterling silver with copper inside- to make links
JUMP RINGS to connect the charms (and a clasp, not shown)
DIAMOND FILES (for grinding sharp glass edges and finishing the silver solder. These are awesome tools. One is square and the other is round, and they are very strong. Much better than any kind of sandpaper!)

A WHOLE LOT OF PATIENCE (each one of these charms takes me about an hour to make.)

I had a good time deviating from sewing, painting and sculpting. It felt good to play with a different medium, especially something like silver. As I mentioned, each charm was very time consuming, so I don't think I will keep making bracelets... only one special bracelet for my special daughter. But I will try using these charms as a centerpiece for an art doll. I can almost see it now. I think it's a great idea!

If you would like me to make customized charms for you, I will be happy to. The Diamond files are hard to find, and I will offer them as well. I'll post this up on my Etsy shop later today.



2 comments:

  1. very nice bracelet. Thanks for sharing your tools too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty, I have some of the copper tape that I use on some of my crafts, it's way cool. Do be careful not to breathe the fumes when soldering and using the flux.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!