Friday, October 30, 2009

TIKVAH

Please meet TIKVAH, an 18" cloth doll with inset eyes and a lovely smile.
TIKVAH got her name because she reminds me of a dear old friend I left behind in Israel, whose name is Tikvah.
'Tikvah' is a Hebrew word meaning 'hope," and a very pretty name. This new doll is my hope for inspiration. Now that the doll is completed, I've begun writing the pattern. I hope to release it in a couple of weeks.

PROFILE

PROFILE CLOSE UP

Tikvah's face is needle sculpted with inset eyes made of polymer clay. A tutorial for this technique can be found here.
The surface of her skin is hardened with a mixture of gel medium and soft modeling paste, gesso, and a layer of paint. Go here to learn more about this technique.
Hard to believe this is a true cloth doll!

She is built on a wire armature and stands alone. Her costume is intricitely embellished and has layers of different textures to draw attention.


I think Tikvah's smile is extremely charming. Don't you?

4 comments:

  1. Tikvah is absolutely lovely! I like the idea of 'hardening' her face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sie ist wunderschön und du bist hervorragend künstlerin!
    LG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tikvah has been blogged!

    http://judaicajournal.blogspot.com/2009/11/such-doll.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rivkah,
    By clicking on your name on the blog post the reader is automatically brought to your blog... I always try to do that to give the artist their due!
    Toby

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!