Saturday, August 01, 2009

Dyeing for Mohair

Do you have WHITE MOHAIR locks lying around in your supply stash?
I do. Bags of it.

I don't need white mohair, I need colors! So, I dyed it. It was so easy and cheap to do..... you've got to try this.
First, start with KOOL AID.

Put the kool aid into a glass or earthenware bowl with water. Approximate ratio = one package of Kool Aid : one and a half cups of water.


Add your mohair, one lock at a time. Consider combing each lock out before submerging it.


Add plenty of mohair and mix it all around with a non-metal spoon. You want the water to soak up into the mohair so it absorbs the kool aid as evenly as possible. You'll be suprised how much mohair you can get into the bowl.


Here are Two bowls of mohair- one grape and one cherry.


Let the mohair sit and soak overnight.
Rinse it out with water.
Remember scratch and sniff stickers from when we were kids?
Your dolls' hair will smell like that!

One last OPTIONAL step:
If you are worried about colorfasting the mohair, you can add some vinegar to make it set.
Rub the vinegar into the mohair, spray it on with a spray bottle, etc.
Let it air dry.

Have fun!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's amazing I was just thinking I must try dying some mohair today! What is kool Aid though, we don't have that in the UK, what sort of stuff is it so I can look for something similar? Thanks :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial! I have some VERY light blonde that I haven't used yet because it doesn't match anything I've made. I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wonderful blog here and I hope to learn heaps from you...

    Just getting into doll making and did a google search on needle sculpting and came up with your blog.

    Fantastic stuff!

    I'm usually a scrapbooker/acrylic & watercolour painter.

    I can't help myself. I just want to give dolls a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a previous "life" I did a lot of dyeing for spinning and weaving.

    You don't have to mess with the vinegar after-the-fact. just add a tablespoon full to the dye.

    For the commenter overseas: koolaid is a fruit drink powder to which you usually add sugar and water for a drink. It uses pretty dense food-grade pigment and is very inexpensive.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!