Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Peace Doll

Today I was doing nothing all day but what I wanted to do- eat, drink coffee and play dolls. sound good? I wish it were true!

In the meantime, it dawned on me that I never showed anybody my most prized doll. She was a gift from two ladies on Doll Street- Marcia Acker-Missall and Molly. This doll was probably my "turning point" in embarking on my journey of doll making artistry. She is a treasure.

The doll was created in early 2004 when I was new to Doll Street. I had been in Israel for a while and feeling isolated although I had lovely neighbors, friends, etc. I had nobody to "play dolls" with. I found Doll Street on the web and wrote to Molly, who immediately welcomed me with open arms. I was so touched, I joined in the fun shyly and gained more confidence.

I'll never forget the day she arrived. I had to get my mail at the local post office, which was up in town, because they would not deliver to where I lived. It was all cobblestone and cars couldn't get down there. So there I am, walking down the street with this package from Doll Street. I could hardly contain myself and opened it up right then and there.

It was a friendship doll. Molly had created the doll's body, and passed it to Marcia Acker-Missall, who gave her a beautiful face and decorated her with beads and two symbolic embellishments.

The blue hand-like object is called a "Hamsa" which is very popular in Middle Eastern cultures. Actually it is an ancient symbol that began in Arabia. Hamsa is the word for 'five' in Arabic. Hamesh is five in Hebrew- same root, same idea.

The Hamsa charm has an eye in it to ward off the 'evil eye.' Blue is a lucky color, like the Heavens. The Hamsa is a symbol of good fortune. Probably by warding off the evil eye.
In any case, it's a good thing.

The other symbol on the doll is a globe with the word 'Peace' on it. Wouldn't that be wonderful. I am dreaming of it. The doll has been through the '06 Israel-Lebanon war with me. I will never forget that. This is one of the reasons I came back to America. I think I have become slightly insane from that ordeal (!) I wish the world would be at peace.

There is writing on the doll's legs. The first one reads,

"My body was ... Made for Rivkah by Molly of Doll Street "

The other leg says, "My face was made by Marcia Acker-Missall... & the beading too "

The doll's back says, " Faith Love Peace '04 "

I love this doll. She was with me through war and has been packed up and moved across the world. She's always been a source of comfort because she reminds me that I have friends, even friends that I have never met but who are friends nonetheless. Isn't that lovely? I think so. I think I am lucky.

When I left Israel and came back to Seattle I had to part with many things, which was difficult. I miss my stuff and I do miss certain things about Israel. Thankfully she did not get left behind. I really love her because she reminds me of goodness and the things I love to do. Thank you Molly and Marcia! You'll never know how much your gift really means to me.

Oh and- of course, she has the good life...
Here she is on a hammock !






2 comments:

  1. aww.. what a cute love doll! i fell in love with it the moment i saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rivka Could you please email me at designsbykatcs@bellsouth.net
    Thank you, Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!