Sunday, June 10, 2007

Screw This!



Recently one my dolls had a sort of of "falling out" with my dog. More like a "falling apart."

The dog decided to have a "meeting" with her. She tore her head off and removed all the mohair, and proceeded to do some more dastardly deeds to this poor doll. What fun!

One of the shoes was damaged and I just thought I'd share with you how I am going to repair it.

Screw it!


These shoes are made from polymer clay. The pattern  can be found in the "freebies" section here on this blog.

To repair the heel, I'll add some air dry clay over the screw. Not such a big deal. Since it has grooves, I won't even need to add paper tape to prevent the clay from slipping. Once that's dry, I'll just paint right over it.

A new "quickie" beaded ankle bracelet hides the tooth marks!

Thankfully she did not destroy the rest of the body, and the face is all right. Needed a bit of work, but not too bad.

I did have to add hair again, touch up her face and sew her head back on. Her "hat" was damaged but I put it back on, this time I sewed it down with beads. Not bad. I think she still needs some more work but she's okay.
The doll came out okay in the end. She's still got her spark.

Now that she's been salvaged, I can think about this a little more....
She's a bit on the naughty side. Maybe she deserved what she got? hehe

The fun part about making dolls is that you can dress them in whatever way you want, and "get away with it." Maybe not...
When creating a figurative sculpture, whether from cloth or clay, it can be very hard to bring yourself to cover it up completely. Sure, you want to dress the doll and use as many embellishments to build its beauty and character- but then again it can be a shame to conceal all the hard work you just did. My teacher Alex Mergold- a master sculptor in Israel- once commented that he believed sewing dolls and creating a realistic pattern is so difficult he could never do it. Well, I don't believe THAT, but I do know how painful it can be to cover up all the skill and hard work that goes into creating a body, especially when there are fine details.
This is why I sometimes create these extremely immodest people... yeah yeah-

I guess what it all boils down to - I'll know better than to trust my dolls around my dog. (And they say collies are supposed to be smart and loyal? Ah well, you can't win em all! All's well that ends well.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Colleen2:49 AM

    I'd be devastated if my dog ripped up one of my dolls. My dog did once have a good chew on a half finished cross-stitch but never a doll. Oooh, it would be hard to be patient. I love dogs and I love dolls. Not good when one destroys the other. But I'm so glad you were able to repair her. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naughty dog, but how hard it is to be angry with such a pretty dog. Good thing that you were able to salvage your doll. Somehow I don't think that you'd be as cheerful if she were completely ruined. All's well that ends well. (Maybe your dog is worried about the upcoming move?) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rivkah, I love how you shared putting your little girl back together again. And what a great idea for heels!
    I just can't believe that beautiful sweet-looking dog could ever do such a dastardly deed! Surely, if she could talk she would tell you differently! ;)
    ~Nena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful repair work on your doll. I wonder if your dog is telling you that she is jealous because she does not have a doll of her own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rivkah thanks for sharing your repair work. I can't imagine having one of my dolls ripped apart like that. Beautiful dog though. Glad your little girl was salvageable. She's lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!