Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Altered Cowboy


Li Hertzi's long-awaited book Art Doll Adventures has just been published, and has hit the bookshelves. I wish I could see this book but I'll have to wait for it to arrive in the post! It's not sold in Israel.... I get a complimentary copy from the publisher. I hope they send it fast! I'm almost tempted to order it from Amazon.com... I'm sure you all will have seen it way before I do.

I got a heads up on the release by my email inbox, which has been receiving mail over the past few days from people who had purchased the book. Gosh it is such great fun- and the suspense is almost too much! You folks get to see the book and I just sit here and wait... not fair!
My doll, like the others in the gallery, is an artist interpretation of one of Li's patterns. She just assigned the pattern to me and I was free to do with it what I wanted. I don't know exactly where my "feller" came from but what evolved from my imagination was a rootin' tootin' cowboy with more sass than sasparilla.
His name is Cowboy Slim and he has got to be the funniest thing I have ever made. Li's style and patterns are just so different than anything I had ever made. When she emailed me the project details, I must have sat there for two days just saying to myself, "what am I going to do with this???" Finally I just laughed out loud and decided he had to be a cowboy. I can't tell you why- just imagine- someone in Israel making a cowboy. I still don't know what came over me!

The pattern is absloutely flat, and that was the challenge. I just "let go" and let myself go and just did the "do with it what you will" kind of thing. I just tell you, while he was evolving, I literally laughed and snickered each and every time I walked into the studio room. Actually, he had everybody in the house hee-in an' haw-in!

Here's one of the notes I got... this is from another artist who also contributed to the gallery.2


"The book arrived at my house (I ordered it from Amazon not knowing when the publisher zould send out copies, and I couldn't wait to see it.) Saw your doll in it. Very clever and suprizing doll... you are such a versatile artist! I love his face, he looks impish to me. Since ou have been publishe so much, is it still a thrill to see your stuff in print???"


Yes it is exciting, to say the least... and I think it gets more exciting every time!

I'm getting anxious...I simply can not wait to see the book and all the other wonderful art I know is in that gallery! And gosh, Li, thanks so much for inviting me to contribute to your book ^*^

Li Hertzi has a new blog and website, about her adventures writing Art Doll Adventures. Way to go, Li!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!