Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Gesso and Tsukineiko Ink on fabric ... great combination!

Last week I was designing a new pattern, and today I was in the mood for an experiment of sorts.
I finished just the torso (I always begin with that!) and spent so much time on it. When it was done, well- I decided to play with it.
I spent so many hours tweaking the pattern, it was the perfect release of bottled up frustration and energy.

I painted the darned thing with gesso. Just slapped it on! Gesso is the stuff you use to prep a canvas with. It was almost as if I was enbalming it or some weird thing! I still don't know why I did this, but it felt good!

When the gesso was dried, I wandered back in the studio to look at my new "creation." Honestly, I thought it would be thrown away. I didn't plan to make any use of it at all. But something about it called for me to do more.

I took my "mummy" and painted it with tsukineiko ink. This is the type of ink they use for ink stamp pads, in liquid form. It' fabulous stuff. I colored it with
red and then while still wet, I added silver gray. Then I let my fingers "print" all over it. I really went to town! It felt good.

As I applied the ink, I discovered that the gesso left beautiful
brush strokes because it it so thick. The ink being very thin, was
soaked right into the crevices of the brushstrokes, creating the most dreamy
effect. It was soooo cool! The two colors together combined with
the brush strokes, and my fingerprints created such a beautiful soft
look to the surface. Almost like roses or something. It was very calming, almost fragrant! My senses were very stimulated when I saw that.
I could also see some threads that I neglected to trim off, and they
were now painted over and added interest.

Now the pattern looks PERFECT! As if it were meant for this.

I am going to finish this doll. I'll "Dress" her with gesso and
ink. When I make her arms and legs, I will use the same technique.
I'll paint her skin with flesh colored paint.
Since it is fabric, I can still bead the doll. I'll probably use
some light organza or silk to dress her up a bit, as well.
I have a good feeling about this new pattern now. I've discovered something new!

Don't you love it when you have a happy accident?

I do!

close up of texture

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rivkah,
    Love your blog. Isn't it great how things turn out especially when one thinks that the process may not work.
    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!